Kazimierz Kuratowski Award
The Award was introduced in 1981 by Zofia Kuratowska, the Institute of Mathematics of the Polish Academy of Sciences and the Polish Mathematical Society (PTM). In accordance with the Rules, it may be awarded to individuals who were under 30 years of age before the end of the year preceding the one when the award is granted, and who are laureates neither of PTM awards (excluding awards for young mathematicians), nor of the scientific award of the 3rd Division of the Polish Academy of Sciences. Among the previous laureates, there are many prominent Polish mathematicians.
Apart from the candidates considered on Jury’s own initiative and the laureates of the PTM Award for Young Mathematicians, the Jury considers all other applications submitted by sending a complete set of the following documents:
- application or nomination to the Award (signed scan)
- list of publications and copies of confirmations of “accepted for printing” status of the publications which have not been published yet
- short CV with the date of birth
- up to seven articles in files (files titles should clearly identify the article, preferably using a number in the list of publications)
- opinion of the person who nominated a candidate (optional)
The documents should be sent until 31 March 2018 electronically to the addres.
The Award will be granted by the Jury not later than on 1 May 2018.
- 2018 Piotr Pokora
- 2017 Adam Kanigowski
- 2016 Piotr Achinger
- 2015 Joanna Kułaga-Przymus & Mateusz Michałek
- 2014 Kamil Kaleta
- 2013 Wojciech Samotij
- 2012 Mateusz Kwaśnicki
- 2011 Piotr Przytycki
- 2010 Sławomir Dinew
- 2009 Radosław Adamczak
- 2008 Adam Skalski
- 2007 Mikołaj Bojańczyk
- 2006 Krzysztof Krupiński
- 2005 Grzegorz Bobiński & Tomasz Schreiber
- 2004 Dariusz Buraczewski
- 2003 Piotr Śniady
- 2002 Adrian Langer
- 2001 Grzegorz Zwara
- 2000 Krzysztof Oleszkiewicz
- 1999 Stanisław Kasjan
- 1998 Michał Kwieciński
- 1997 Rafał Latała
- 1996 Jacek Zienkiewicz
- 1995 Piotr Hajłasz & Jerzy Marcinkowski
- 1994 Jacek Graczyk
- 1993 Waldemar Hebisch
- 1992 Zbigniew Jelonek
- 1991 Tomasz Łuczak
- 1990 Jarosław Wiśniewski
- 1989 Adam Parusiński
- 1988 Piotr Biler
- 1987 Mariusz Lemańczyk
- 1986 Krzysztof Ciesielski
- 1985 Mariusz Wodzicki
- 1984 Piotr Pragacz & Jerzy Weyman
- 1983 Józef Przytycki
- 1982 Ryszard Frankiewicz
- 1981 Feliks Przytycki
- Tomasz Adamowicz (IMPAN) 2017-2020
- Jarosław Buczyński (IMPAN) 2015-2018 - przewodniczący w 2018
- Łukasz Kosiński (PTM) 2018-2020
- Joanna Kułaga-Przymus (PTM) 2016-2019 - zastępca przewodniczącego w 2018
- Mateusz Kwaśnicki (PTM) 2016-2019
- Piotr Nowak (IMPAN) 2017-2020
- Marcin Pilipczuk (PTM) 2018-2020
- Piotr Śniady (IMPAN) 2015-2018
- Tadeusz Januszkiewicz - przedstawiciel Dyrekcji IMPAN
The Kazimierz Kuratowski Award for scientific achievements in Mathematics was introduced in 1981 by his daughter Zofia Kuratowska, the Institute of Mathematics of the Polish Academy of Sciences and the Polish Mathematical Society (PTM). The Award is financed by subsidies allocated to the Award, as well as subsidies contributed by other founders.
The Award is granted only once a year to those who were under 30 years of age before the end of the year preceding the one when the award is granted, and who are laureates neither of PTM awards (excluding awards for young mathematicians), nor of the scientific award of the 3rd Division of the Polish Academy of Sciences. The evaluation includes scientific papers of the candidates, both published and accepted for printing.The candidate should be linked scientifically with Poland.
The members of the Jury must be under 41 years of age, and are appointed for the period of four years: four members are appointed at the General Meeting of PTM, and the other four – by the Scientific Council of the Institute of Mathematics. Both these institutions change their two members every two years. Moreover, the Jury includes one representative of the Board of Directors of the Institute of Mathematics.
The Jury appoints the President and the Deputy President each year for the next year. Neither of the two functions may be performed twice.
The Jury must treat all laureates of the PTM Award for Young Mathematicians from the period of three preceding years as candidates to the Award. The Jury may, on its own initiative, consider other candidates who meet the requirements mentioned in point 2.
Meeting of the Jury is convened by the President or – in case of his/her absence – the Deputy President. The Jury decides to grant the award before May 1st each year by simple majority in the presence of at least 5 members. In the case of a tie, the decision is made by the President. In special cases – if the President acquaints the members with the papers of candidates – it is possible to pass the vote by correspondence to the President before the meeting of the Jury.
The Kazimierz Kuratowski Award is granted to the laureate during the scientific session of the Polish Mathematical Society. The laureate of the Kazimierz Kuratowski Award is invited to give a talk on the subject of his/her choice during the scientific session of the PTM.
- Amendments to the Rules are approved by those establishing the award.