The rules of assessing researchers
The rules of assessing researchers at the Institute of Mathematics of the Polish Academy of Sciences
Legal basis: Article 96 of the Act on the Polish Academy of Sciences of 30 April 2010 (Dz. U. [Journal of Laws] No 96 item 619)
- General Provisions
- The Scientific Council of the Institute of Mathematics carries out periodical assessment of performance of all researchers employed in the Institute.
- The assessment of researchers employed as professors and associate professors is carried out not less frequently than every four years.
- The assessment of assistant professors and assistants is carried out not less frequently than every two years.
- In order to carry out detailed assessment, the Scientific Council together with the Director of the Institute appoint the Committee for Employment and Assessment of Scientific Activity of Employees.
- The Committee carries out the assessment in agreement with the heads of departments or laboratories.
- If necessary, the Committee may consult experts who are neither members of the Scientific Council, nor employees of the Institute.
- The Committee may ask the assessed person to provide explanations and/or to appear before the Committee or the Scientific Council of the Institute.
- The results of the assessment are submitted to the Director of the Institute, and in the form of a general report to the Scientific Council.
- The Scientific Council acknowledges the results of the assessment carried out by the Committee.
- In the case of negative results of the assessment of a professor or associate professor employed on the basis of indefinite employment contract, the Scientific Council may request re-assessment in a period not shorter than one year, and should the assessment be negative again, the Council may request the termination of the employment contract.
- In the case of negative results of the assessment of other scientific staff, the Scientific Council may request re-assessment in a period shorter than two years, or termination of the employment contract.
- Assessment criteria
The researchers employed at the Institute are assessed based on their annual reports deposited at the Institute.
In the assessment process, the following elements of the activity of a researcher are taken into consideration in the evaluated period:
- Research work
- papers published and accepted for printing;
- lectures, national and international travels.
- Teaching activity in Poland and abroad
- giving seminars, lectures for doctoral students, talks, organizing trainings, etc.
- scientific supervision over young mathematicians.
- Reviews and publishing activity
- reviews of doctoral and postdoctoral dissertations, as well as those submitted in professorship award procedures;
- reviews of articles, books and projects;
- participation in editing of books and journals.
- Active participation in preparing national and international research projects.
- Work in favour of the Institute and mathematical milieu, including:
- work in favour of the Institute’s publishing houses
- participation in the work conducted by the Scientific Council and committees appointed by the Director
- taking care of visitors from Poland and abroad
- organisational activity including organising conferences and other scientific meetings
- Appeal procedure
Researchers employed at the Institute are entitled to appeal against the result of assessments of their professional activity, in particular against the assessment of their work. The appeal shall be submitted to the Vice President of the Polish Academy of Sciences who supervises the work of the 3rd Division. The rules of appeal procedure are established by the President of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
- Final provisions
- The present rules were adopted by the Scientific Council of the Institute of Mathematics of the Polish Academy of Sciences on 19 April 2012.
- The rules shall enter into force on the day of its approval by the Vice President of the Polish Academy of Sciences who supervises the 3rd Division of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
Director of the Institute President of the Scientific Council
Prof. dr hab. Feliks Przytycki Prof. dr hab. Andrzej Schinzel
The present rules were approved on 7 May 2012 by the Vice President of the Polish Academy of Sciences, prof. dr. hab. Marek Chmielewski.