Singularities in Geometry and Applications
5 – 21 May, 2011, Będlewo
One of the main goals of the meeting is the diffusion of methods and techniques devised and applied by the conference speakers among a large international group of young researchers. The organizers also wish to provide a common ground for discussions leading to an increase in the international collaboration between different research groups, and to stimulate a substantial feedback for further research by inviting several speakers involved in practical applications of their methods.
Singularity theory has long been known for successfully connecting numerous important areas of applications of mathematics to its most abstract branches. Recent years have been particularly fruitful for geometric aspects of singularity theory, including among others the study of singularities in real algebraic geometry, analytic and subanalytic geometry, symplectic geometry and Lorentzian geometry. As a natural consequence of this progress many new applications to geometric optics, image recognition and processing, control theory, classical mechanics, general relativity theory and other disciplines have been pursued.
The conference aims at bringing together specialists in Singularity Theory interested in Applications, as well as other researchers willing to connect with the Singularity Theory techniques. In particular, the diffusion of these methods and their potentiality in actual research problems among the young researchers (postgraduate and postdoctoral students) is one of the goals of the meeting.
Topics of interest:
– Singularities of smooth maps.
– Generic Geometry.
– Applications to Computational Vision and Image Analysis.
– Applications to Robotics.
– Applications to Control Theory.
– Singularities of Caustics and Wavefronts.
– Classifications of singularities of differential forms.
– Topological invariants.
In addition to the conference two meetings in Warsaw are planned:
- School on Generic Singularities in Geometry - 11.05-14.05 - organized by Goo Ishikawa and Mariusz Zając
- Working Group on Singularities and Geometry - 21.05-24.05 - organized by Shyuichi Izumyia and Carmen Romero Fuster
- Peter Giblin (University of Liverpool, Liverpool)
- Stanisław Janeczko (IMPAN Warsaw)
- Carmen Romero-Fuster (University of Valencia Spain)
Local Organizing Committee
- Renata Podgórska-Zając
- Mariusz Zając
- Michał Cukrowski
- J.-P. Brasselet (Luminy, France)
- F. Cano (Universidad de Valladolid, Spain),
- J. Damon (University of North Carolina, USA)
- P. Giblin (University of Liverpool, UK)
- B. Jakubczyk (Institute of Mathematics, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland)
- S. Janeczko (Institute of Mathematics, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland)
- S. Izumiya (Hokkaido University, Japan)
- T. Mostowski (Institute of Mathematics, Warsaw University, Poland)
- M.C. Romero Fuster (Universidad de Valencia, Spain)
- M.A.S. Ruas (Universidad de São Paulo, Brasil)
- F. Sánchez-Bringas (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, México).
- V.D. Sedykh (University of Oil and Gas, Russia)
- F. Tari (University of Durham, UK).